Thursday, January 03, 2008

People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

BEST OF 2007

Albums (In Five Words Or LESS)

Sunset Rubdown, Random Spirit Lover - Exploded upon first listen.
LCD Soundsystem, Sound Of Silver - Touching. Honest. About Growing Old.
Menomena, Friend And Foe - Dark songs veiled by saxophone.
Arcade Fire, Neon Bible - I finally caved in.
Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna Are You The Destroyer? - Danceable and Tragic Explosions.
Busdriver, RoadKillOvercoat – Stream of conscious genius.

Songs (Short as well)

LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends - Just listen to it alone.
Bloc Party, Song for Clay (Disappear Here) - Bret Easton Ellis by Brits.
Rhianna, Umbrella - Silly beats, nice song.
Lupe Fiasco, Superstar - Rises and falls without notice.
The Shins, Sea Legs - Makes me want to swim.

Movies (Short too…more than five words)

Transformers - Knocked my tits off. Felt like a child. When I saw Jurassic Park as a young man I wanted to shit from excitement. This movie made me feel that way.

Darjeeling Limited - I am a Wes Anderson geek for sure, but the flashback scene when the brothers stop at the auto repair shop on the way to their father's funeral will haunt me forever.

Into The Wild - I could have watched a three hour film based solely on the relationship between Emile Hirsch and Hal Holbrook. When he tells Emile that he wants to adopt him….jesus it will break you down.

(I haven't seen There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men…they seem to be hot ones)


People Of The Year

Charlie Rose - Classiest man on television.

Michael Cera - I would thank him if I saw him.

Dwight Howard - Will rip a rebound off of your face, but smile when it's all over.

Tom Brady - Is the Justin Timberlake of pro sports. Why, because Timberlake transcends race. You will hear his music on all radio stations. When Tom Brady comes to the sidelines he is referred to as a 'Cold Ass White Boy', making them both Cold Ass White Boys.

Barack Obama - Kennedy figure for my generation. Please vote for him.

You - For reading this…thanks dude.


Themes of 2007

The reemergence of those damned UGG boots. COME ON….I thought these things would be gone quicker than L.A. Lights. I still see young women in sweatpants and UGG's talking on their cell phones as they place the keys in the door or their red SUV's. Stop…get some Air Max 90's.

The Wii has placed itself among such modern 'pop technology' achievements as the IPod and Personal Navigation systems. The latest Family Circus cartoon featured a kid playing the Wii. If Norman Rockwell were still around he would have painted a grandmother and her friends playing Wii bowling on Christmas Day. It will be around for quite some time and recognized as one of the greater machines of the late 2000's.

Young married or engaged couples getting expensive dogs from breeders. It's so 2007.

People telling stories about thinking someone using a Bluetooth was talking to them even though they were just talking on their phone. E.g.:
“I was walking down the street today and some GUY was talking into the air and I thought he was asking me a question…BOY WAS I WRONG! They were using a miniature phone receiver that attaches to the outer lobe of your ear!”

No comments: